Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Long Island Half-Marathon Race Report

I don't like the heat.  I don't like being in the heat.  I don't like humidity.

Running in the heat, especially when 4 days earlier it was barely 50 degrees doesn't make me like it any better.

Race day was balmy.  Temperatures in the 70s and 80s, sunny and high humidity.  More like a day in July, not the first weekend in May.  I had previously moved down from the full marathon and elected to run the half due to my calf injury from hell.  I was extremely happy my run was over before 10 that morning.

My calf had been feeling good, but after the multiple recurrences I understood that it feeling OK on a normal day didn't mean anything regarding my run.  Sure enough I was right about that on race day and the calf pain returned during the run.  I prepped with Kinesio tape and debated on which shoes to wear.  I had been using my Nike Frees with some supplementation with my Vibram Five Fingers but nothing more supportive than that.  I have a fairly new pair of Brooks Glycerins that I had not run more than 70 miles in from this time last year.  My theory was that a pair of shoes with more support and a stiffer forefoot would benefit my run.  I believe that gamble paid off.

My day started at 5:30 on race morning.   I got up and headed out to grab some coffee.  Heading back home I made myself a peanut butter and honey sandwich for breakfast.  I got dressed, gathered my stuff and headed out around 6:30.  I arrived and parked by 7:00 and made my way to the start.  I did a short warm up and could already feel that impending calf problem.  I decided to limit my warm up and wait for the start.

Miles 1-4:  These miles were going well.  I was going out way too fast, but I felt good.  The heat wasn't affecting me too much right now.  I was running right on 8:00 minute miles.  Mile 4 water stop was understaffed and I couldn't get water.

Miles 5-7:  I slowed it down to 8:30 minute miles.  I thought this would be OK.  The heat was starting to get to me.

Mile 8:  Slowed to a  8:45 minute per mile pace.

Mile 9: 9 min/mile pace

Mile 10: had to pause to walk/stretch so 9:30 min/mi and it was all downhill from there.

My heart rate was sky high.  Average was 178 BPM those paces.  I attribute most of this to the heat, my altered and thus inefficient gait and of course being ill prepared.  I maxed out at 190 BPM which I don't even do for shorter races.

I managed to finish the race.  My body was done with the running though.  My calf was throbbing, my body was exhausted.  I'm taking off for the remainder of the month to let my calf heal and I am looking into buying a bike.  I need another form of crosstraining that allows me to stay outdoors.


Now if only the swelling in my calf would go down...hmmmm

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on heat and humidity... especially humidity. Nice job on getting it done.

    You know how to run, you're getting a bike, now all we need to do is teach you how to swim. :)

    ReplyDelete