Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Finding another way to build my endurance: Part 2

Steve is officially with bike.

I went down to the bike shop on Monday afternoon and got my second fitting.  It was yet another pleasant experience.  I went down after work (love a store with hours past 6) and said hello to Linda the 'everything else' person.  We chatted for a while with a father-daughter pair before Doug (the fit guy) came up after finishing another bike.  He was hauling my bike up with him and we promptly went over to the trainer.

After digging out my shoes and setting up the bike on the trainer he set up the bike with my measurements and put on my peddles.  He had me hop and and gave me the pointers on body position and the like and showed me how to clip in and out.  Having me peddle for a few minutes he watched my legs and then had me stop and explained what he was looking at and that everything from the waist down looked good so far.  He then made sure I was putting myself in a proper riding position.  He checked my measurements again and everything was still spot on.  We chatted some more about measurements, clipping in and out and when I could pick the bike up.

I stopped in this evening since the bike was ready.  I was given the 'new to road biking' lecture given suggestions on things I need and can maybe live without.  This is an expensive sport after all.  I ended up purchasing a floor pump, a portable pump, 2 water bottle cages, and was given a number of must-have repair tools, patches, spare tube, ect.

The bike is now here at home.  I probably won't be able to get a ride in until Friday.  I have a friend who lives close by that wants to ride so I will have company (read help).  I'm excited but nervous to get out for my first ride.  It will certainly be an experience.

2 comments:

  1. Dude! You haven't taken it out yet. Sigh. Guess I'll have to wait for the next blog on Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and you might need to change the title of your blog to Running (and Biking) Mania

    ReplyDelete