Thursday, April 22, 2010

Recovery can be a hard road

The one thing I dislike about my job is that at times it requires me to be on my feet for hours on end, wearing big clunky steel toed boots walking around construction sites.  This is also something I really like about my job, so I am torn when I need to rest my legs to help them recover but am stuck onsite walking.  I also don't like being stuck at a desk from 9 hours a day and presumably that practice causes tight muscles and could also be contributing to injuries in a very six-degrees type of way.  As a friend said "You're white collar job is sort of blue collar at times."  I believe the extra energy of walking all day led to my legs being tired, which altered my stride, which led to the recurrence of this injury.

Work's been rough lately.  My group is overtaxed right now which is a drastic difference from this time last year.  I am currently working a full day in the field and then working 2-3 hours a night on additional work.  There are too many construction projects and not enough bodies meaning no one is in the office to do work.  At least I get paid my standard rate for the extra hours.

I'm doing my best to help my calf along.  It's been living in a compression sleeve by day, a Strassburg sock by night, with ice in the morning and at night.  I'm also trying to get extra sleep after a few weeks with late nights out on weekends(why are there so many April babies?)

I hope to get some further sleep this weekend and maybe test the calf on a short run of 2 or 3 miles.  We'll see how it goes.

Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment